Thursday, April 1, 2010

she had that bad hip like a fanny pack


it all began with this moment in Sex and the City (as it always does-we see something on Carrie Bradshaw and need it the next possible minute) when Carrie wore that Gucci fanny pack and since then, the fanny pack was never looked at the same way it was in the 90s.

I know this is nothing less of a random subject...there's no recent moment in fashion where the fanny pack was in the spotlight, at least not recent enough for me to blog about it, but I saw this entry from Sea of Shoes that featured a Tatsuyuki Tanaka fanny pack and I almost shit my pants because I want it so bad. as strong supporter of the fanny pack, it's no wonder why I fell victim to the Gucci craze started by SATC. I remember buying this in Paris with my mom in 2006 thinking, "am I really going to wear this?" the idea of a fanny pack is so dorky, so detached from being fashionable...but that's why I love it. the designers that transformed this bag to become less of a staple for unfashionable tourists and more of a statement piece is enough for me to wear it. and though I haven't gotten much use out of mine, it's been a lifesaver for the times I have used it...probably the most convenient purse I own (especially for running errands or going to Disneyland). even if I get flack from my friends for rocking the fanny pack, I could give two fucks. because by my wearing it I can say that A) I have balls and B) I can bring back a '90s look like it's my job

to read more about the fanny trend, click through to this article in the NY Times

p.s. these pictures of me are old...if you consider 2-3 years ago old...but I look at least 5 years younger soo yeah, I'd say these are old.



though I'd love to own each and everyone of these, this Alexander Wang fanny is probably my favorite & the most versatile


buy it here

5 comments:

Neekoh said...

I love that you posted this! I've been way into fanny packs for the past year+. Not many people share my passion/obsession. I'm glad to see you do! Great post, too :D

LiveLoveLA

Sarah Whitney said...

I've had bad memories of fanny packs from many of my NYC trips when I was a kid haha. But I must say you and SJP rock them... and that Alexander Wang bag is sick! I'd wear it!

ryder said...

love u carrie

Duck said...

The Alexander Wang one is brilliant, as is the KTZ. I have seen a few metallic Vivienne Westwood ones that I loved, but I wasn't sure about spending hundreds of pounds on a bag that I can only use 2-3 times a year...
xx
Duck

Michele said...

Wow that A Wang one is the best!!!